You are here:
< Back

While priests may normally exercise their ministry anywhere in the world, those staying long in another Diocese need to get a Celebret from that diocese. To apply for a Celebret in the Diocese of Rome:

1. At the beginning of the school year, coordinate among yourselves, to ask from the Rector a letter with the names of those needing the Celebret (renewal), addressed to the Ufficio Clero of the Vicariato di Roma, requesting for your Celebret. Email the list of full names (as they appear in Passport) to the Rector, separating those applying for the first time and those renewing).

2. Each one should download and fill up the forms for the application and the privacy.

3. Collect from each one:

a) NEWCOMERS: photocopy of your valid visa, and the Poste Italiane receipt you got when filing for the Permesso di Soggiorno,

b) NEWCOMERS: photocopy of the celebret from your home diocese,

c) OLDTIMERS: photocopy of your Permesso di Soggiorno (if not yet ready, then photocopy your Poste Italiane receipt),

d) OLDTIMERS: original and photocopy of your old celebret

e) one passport-sized photo in clerical attire,

f) photocopy of your passport’s page with your personal data,

g) photocopy of the Mandatum of your bishop (which you addressed to the Collegio Rector when you first applied to the Collegio),

h) photocopy of your ordination certificate,

i) photocopy of your enrollment certificate (for newcomers who have none yet, the pre-enrolment certificate you submitted to the Italian Embassy back home will do),

j) fee of 5 Euros

4. Bring all the above documents to:

Ufficio Clero
Vicariato di Roma
Piazza S. Giovanni in Laterano, 6
00184 Roma

Depending on the circumstances, you might either just wait for your new Celebret, or return a few days after.