Churches: The Four Major Basilicas
- St. Peter’s Basilica
- Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls
- Archbasilica of St. John Lateran
- Basilica of St. Mary Major
The four major Basilicas can be covered in half a day.
1) Begin with St. Peter’s because it usually has the strictest security and longest line before entry. It officially opens at 7:00 am but pilgrims form lines as early as 6:00 am.
2) Next go to the farthest out which is St. Paul outside the Walls.
3-4) St. Mary Major and John Lateran are both easily interchangeable because they can be accessed by major bus routes and the metro.
This itinerary would take a whole day if one begins with a Wednesday Papal audience at St. Peter’s Basilica which is usually from 9:00-11:00 a.m.