Sabbatical sa Vatican
The programs listed below are given in English, unless specified as given only in Italian, or with simultaneous translation to English. Note that you may attend more than one program you are interested in, as long as they do not overlap too much. Please double check with corresponding websites for current information.
1. Pontifical Atheneum Regina Apostolorum (Ateneo Pontificio Regina Apostolorum)
- Exorcism and Prayer of Liberation Course: one week every April or May; with simultaneous translation to English; https://sacerdos.org/en/exorcism-and-prayer-of-liberation/
- Course for Seminary Formators: whole month of July every year, with simultaneous translation to English; see https://sacerdos.org/en/seminary-formators-course/
2. Pontifical Gregorian University (Pontificia Università Greogriana)
- For-Mission Renewal Program for Missionaries, offered by the Faculty of Missiology; February to May 2020; see this flyer and https://www.unigre.it/struttura_didattica/fc/eventi_ua_en.php?adg_ua=5
- Diploma in Safeguarding of Minors, offered by the Center for Child Protection; one semester program held around January to June; see
3. Pontifical University of the Holy Cross (Pontificia Università della Santa Croce).
- Program on Church Management, offered by the Markets, Culture and Ethics Research Centre: two-week intensive programs each February and September; focus on how to serve the poor effectively, and use the material assets of the Church honestly and according to Canon Law and good managerial practices in conformity with the principles of Catholic Social Teaching; see http://www.pusc.it/pcm
- The Church Up Close, offered by the School of Church Communications: one week on September every two years; since 2008; see http://en.pusc.it/csi/attivita/giornalisti
- Renewal Course of Marriage Law and Canonical Procedure, offered by the Faculty of Canon Law; one week every September; with simultaneous translations to English; see http://en.pusc.it/prossime-attivita
- Meetings or workshops, offered by the School of Church Communications; help on different months, in English and other languages; see http://en.pusc.it/csi/attivita/altri-eventi
4. Courses given totally in Italian (mostly with no English translations):
- Roman Rota: miscellaneous courses on Canon Law topics on different months; see
- Apostolic Penitentiary: one-week course on the Internal Forum every March; see
- Congregation for the Clergy: Course for Formators; every Thursday afternoon, October to May; see http://www.clerus.va/content/clerus/it/notizie/corso-per-formatori-presso-la-congregazione-per-il-clero–si-par.html
- Congregation for the Causes of Saints: Studium on the Theology, History and Canon Law of the Causes of Saints, held
January to May every year; see http://www.causesanti.va/content/causadeisanti/it/studium.html
- Pontifical University of the Holy Cross, Center for Priestly Formation: courses for Formators, Matrimonial Pastoral Care, Ars Predicandi, etc.; different days or weeks throughout the year; see http://en.pusc.it/centri/centro-formazione-sacerdotale
In this “Sabbatical sa Vatican” Program (Filipino for “Sabbatical at the Vatican”), the Priest chooses from among the existing programs at the Vatican or in the different Universities. Meanwhile, the Collegio, rather than offering in-house modules, serves as his “Home in Rome”, as he goes through the seminars or courses, gets exposed to the realities of our overseas workers, and learns from the Vatican and Rome, and other parts of Italy or Europe. Our Spiritual Director can guide him accordingly.
This way the priest on Sabbatical could come at any time of the year, and for as long as he wishes, according to his course and other preferences. Priests from all over the world, even non-Filipinos, are most welcome to stay at the Collegio.
Every Priest deserves to visit Rome, the center of Catholicism, especially for some on-going formation. For those needing subsidy, kindly ask your Bishop permission to request for help from friends coming from your diocese and are now successful professionals in the US. They may donate through Friends of the Collegio, a IRS 501c3 tax-deductible organization. The website explains how this way they would be helping not only a specific Priest, but the whole Diocese and the Church back home. It also contains draft letters for this purpose, that you may simply edit and show to your Bishop, possibly for his signature.
Please contact us for more information, weekly or monthly board and lodging, miscellaneous expenses such as bus pass, medical insurance requirements, and to suggest other programs that may possibly be added here. Thank you!