08 – Carta d’Identità from the Comune
- You may apply for a Carta d’Identità when you have a valid Permesso di Soggiorno (not expired).
- Set an appointment online with the Comune. You may enter using SPID or CIE (you know what these are if you have one) or by creating an account using your Codice Fiscale. Be sure to log in before choosing any appointment, otherwise you will have to repeat the process.
- Our Comune is Municipio XIII, which is next to La Salle along Via Aurelia, 470. However you may select another Municipio in Rome in the website. Some people change their appointments last minute, so you might have one the next day, in a nearby location or a bit far like in Fiumicino or Acilia, an hour and a half by public transport. You may always go back and change your appointment, in case an earlier appointment suddenly becomes available. Schedule availablity may change from one minute to another.
- On the appointment date, go to the Comune office you selected with the documents they require. (In general they do not accept walk-ins without appointments, whether to process papers or to schedule an appointment.)
- It is best to apply soonest, as the date might be weeks or months from today (two months as of December 2022 for Municipio XIII, but 4 days in another Municipio, and one month in another). For those with no or expired Permesso di Soggiorno, you may apply for the Carta d’Identità perhaps a month before your fingerprinting (assuming you get the Permesso di Soggiorno two months after fingerprinting)
- It is now almost necessary to have the Carta d’Identità, as the Permesso di Soggiorno and the Passport are no longer accepted as proof of identity or “documento” in most cases within Italy (applying for other documents, getting a debit card, receiving money, traveling by plane, online services, etc.). Please note that this document is not valid outside Italy.