VI. Refectory and Kitchen
BREAKFAST FROM MONDAYS TO FRIDAYS – 6:15 to 9:30 a.m.
- 9:00 a.m. – turn in used plates, glasses and utensils; the refectorian keeps food, but we may continue eating
- 9:30 a.m. – sliding doors are closed; we may continue with coffee and dessert at the coffee area outside the sliding doors
BREAKFAST ON SATURDAYS AND SUNDAYS – 7:00 to 10:30 a.m.
- This schedule is also observed on Mondays to Fridays when Mass is moved from 6:30 to 7:30 a.m.
- 10:00 a.m. – turn in used plates, glasses and utensils; the refectorian keeps food, but we may continue eating
- 10:30 a.m. – sliding doors are closed; we may continue with coffee and dessert at the coffee area outside the sliding doors
LUNCH (every day) – 1:00 to 2:00 p.m.
- 1:30 p.m. – turn in used plates, glasses and utensils; the refectorian keeps food, but we may continue eating
- 2:00 p.m. – sliding doors are closed; we may continue with coffee and dessert at the coffee area outside the sliding doors
DINNER (every day) – 7:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- 8:00 p.m. – turn in used plates, glasses and utensils; the refectorian keeps food, but we may continue eating
- 8:30 p.m. – sliding doors are closed; we may continue with coffee and dessert at the coffee area outside the sliding doors
- To allow our staff to work efficiently, avoid extending beyond their work hours, and rest at the proper time:
- Desert will be removed last, giving us time to get more if we wish. We may still remain at table, but please turn in used utensils and plates by then.
- Kindly put all rubbish in the trash bin, and sort plates, glasses and utensils on the cart at the dish washing area.
- For extended conversations or get-togethers, please transfer to the coffee area or the Kantos, so the refectory may be cleaned at the end of the meal schedules. This will allow our Sisters and Staff to do other tasks and rest sooner, and will also reduce food spoilage.
- The refectory’s giant sliding doors will be locked outside meal times.
- Kindly inform the Priest Administrators (not the Sisters or Personnel):
- If you have medically indicated needs for special diets. The Administration will try its best to provide them, but this might still entail additional effort and expenses on your part.
- When you are unable to be at the Collegio during scheduled meal times, and need to eat earlier or later. Food will be made available for you in the coffee area. Out of respect for the Personnel and the Sisters, you may not dine in their refectories or anywhere in the kitchen.
- If you plan to invite three or more guests to a meal, so that the necessary arrangements could be made. Donations are most welcome.
- If you or guests wish to provide special food. In such cases it is normally the Collegio (rather than you) that buys and cooks the food, after receiving the donation from the residents or guests.
- If you or guests wish to visit or help in the kitchen. Only in special occasions will this be allowed. This is to respect the work flow of our Sisters and staff, who even though are very welcoming, they are actually burdened if we allow just anyone to enter their work area any time. Keeping the kitchen off limits is also needed for proper budgeting, physical order, sanitation, and efficiency. Please coordinate with the Administrators (not just with the Sisters or Lay Personnel) if you wish to help in special occasions. Priests may use the Kanto’s kitchenette for cooking.
- Kindly inform the Sister in charge of the Kitchen:
- If you are not at the Collegio for lunch and need packed lunch (a sign up sheet will be provided, including for those who ask only for a bottle of water instead of a packed lunch).
- If a group of three or more residents eats out or is away from the Collegio for some days.
- The Collegio does not officially serve snacks, though from time to time snacks may be available at the coffee area. Feel free to leave your extra snacks there too.
- As part of proper management, breakfast food is budgeted. If you wish to bring out snacks for the day, feel free to get some from the snacks area, rather than from the breakfast table.
- Bottled water is not provided by the Collegio, except as part of packed lunch.
- As for the coffee area, during meals, please bring used cups, plates and utensils to the dish washing cart. Outside meals, kindly wash them and leave them on the sink racks to dry, or use plastic cups.
- If you wish to keep personal food items (or medicine) in the refectory refrigerator, kindly label them with your name, otherwise they will be considered as everyone’s.
- If your original intention is to share them with others, you might opt to put them directly on the serving table rather than inside the refrigerator, so they could be seen more easily and consumed earlier.
- The Refectorian is tasked to serve unlabeled food soonest, and dispose of labeled food untouched for a long time.
- The Aperitif room (in front of the Rector’s Office) is maintained for use anytime by Bishops and other VIP’s, and for the Administration’s meetings. Students may entertain their Bishops or Professors there as well. Other guests may be entertained in the coffee area, visitors’ lounge or lobby.
- Meals are opportunities for interaction among the residents.
- Please come punctually for lunch and dinner, to say grace before meals together. For grace before dinner, kindly wait for those who pray the Rosary and Vespers to arrive.
- The Angelus or Regina Coeli is prayed before lunch.
- All are encouraged to eat on different tables rather than have permanent ones. Kindly use Italian as much as possible.
- As a sign of courtesy, please avoid speaking in a language unknown to some present at the same table.
- If using the celfone becomes necessary, kindly step out of the refectory first.