2021.03.14 Pope Francis Mass for 500 Years of Christianity
Mass with Pope Francis
- Homily text: English translation / Italian original
- Video: English translation and commentaries
- Video: Highlights (one minute)
- Video: Original feed (Italian Mass and Homily, parts of Liturgy in Filipino, Cebuano, English and Latin)
- Video: St. Peter’s Square during the Hosanna
His Eminence Luis Antonio Card. Tagle’s Message to the Holy Father
Gift to Pope Francis during the Mass
Latest Update Prior to the Mass
[March 12> 11:00 am> update with MASS BOOKLET]
POPE FRANCIS’ MASS
for the Philippines’
500 YEARS OF CHRISTIANITY
MARCH 14, 2021, SUNDAY
10 am Rome
5 pm Philippines
12 noon Qatar
1 am US West Coast
5 am US East Coast
(note for the US: DST takes effect 2 am)
- You may download a copy of the Mass booklet here (with texts and songs in Italian, English, Filipino, Cebuano and Latin):
- The Mass will be on the Altar of the Chair of St. Peter, not on the Main Altar, so slots are extremely limited. There will only be 10 concelebrants, with His Eminence Luis Antonio Card. Tagle (Prefect, Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples) and His Eminence Card. Angelo Di Donatis (Pope Francis’ Vicar for Rome). Very few entrance tickets were available, and all have already been allocated.
- Rome Sentro Filipino Chaplaincy invites all to come at 10 am to St. Peter’s Square. The wide screen monitors on the Piazza will be activated (we can use our smartphones for the English translation), so while we are outdoors, we may follow the Mass taking place inside the Basilica. Let us please wear our masks and maintain social distancing. Bring your jacket and an umbrella in case it rains.
- At 12 noon, Pope Francis is scheduled to pray the Sunday Angelus. He usually mentions the occasion for the Mass held earlier, and greets the people on the Piazza. Those in Rome, let us bring Philippine flags to greet him too. The Angelus will be televised and streamed online, so our friends and relatives might see us back home.
- For those outside Rome, please join the Mass and Angelus with English translation and commentaries (Vatican Media’s YouTube, EWTN & your favorite religious Facebook pages) or in Italian (Vatican Media’s YouTube, TV2000 Channel 28 & tv2000.it).
- Interested TV stations may arrange with Vatican Media to receive the feed.
- The Philippines is the world’s third largest Catholic country (after Brazil and Mexico) and has the largest number of English-speaking Catholics. Some 60% of Asian Catholics are Filipinos.
- The Mass and Angelus schedules are a bit early for those in America. But this is indeed a once in a lifetime historical event we cannot miss. You may kindly consider the early Mass like a Simbang Gabi from home.
- We continue to pray for Pope Francis, our Bishops in the Philippines and the whole Church. We thank God for the past 500 Years of Christianity, and pray that we may continue our mission of offering the gift of faith to all as we begin the next 500 years of Christianity. Indeed, we have been “Gifted to Give”.
* Fr. Ricky Gente (Chaplain, Sentro Filippino Roma)
* Fr. Greg Gaston (Rector, Pontificio Collegio Filippino, Rome – www.friendsofthecollegio.org)
Pope Francis’ Past Activities with Filipinos
- 2013 November 21 Prayer for Yolanda Typhoon Victims and Intallation of San Pedro Calungsod Mosaic at St. Peter’s: Pope Francis’ Message in Italian / English translation; Videos by PCF Media / Rome Reports
- 2015 January 15-19 Visit to the Philippines
- 2019 December 15 Simbang Gabi at St. Peter’s: Italian video / English video / Italian homily / English report