VI. Refectory and Kitchen
1. Time frames for meals are the following:
- breakfast: 6:30-9:30 a.m.
- lunch: 1:00-2:00 p.m.
- dinner: 7:30-8:30 p.m.
Please turn in your used plates, glasses and utensils by 9:00 a.m., 1:30 p.m., and 8:00 p.m., sorting them properly at the dishwashing area.
2. Also by 9:00 a.m., 1:30 p.m., and 8:00 p.m, to facilitate our staff’s work and rest, they may start to take away food from the serving table, and used items from our tables. Desert will be removed last, giving us time to get more of it if we wish. We may still remain at table, but please turn in used utensils and plates by then.
3. For extended conversations or get-togethers, please transfer to the coffee area or the Kantos, so the refectory may be cleaned at the end of the meal schedules. This will allow our Sisters and Staff to do other tasks and rest sooner, and will also reduce food spoilage.
4. The refectory’s giant sliding doors will be locked outside meal times. This will allow our staff to work efficiently, avoid extending beyond their work hours, and rest.
5. Please note that as part of proper management, breakfast food is budgeted. If you wish to bring out snacks for the day, feel free to get some from the snacks area, rather than from the breakfast table. Bottled water is not provided by the Collegio, except as part of packed lunch.
6. The Collegio does not officially serve snacks, though from time to time snacks may be available at the coffee area. Feel free to leave your extra snacks there too.
7. If you wish to keep personal food items (or medicine) in the refectory refrigerator, kindly label them with your name, otherwise they will be considered as everyone’s. If your original intention is to share them with others, you might opt to put them directly on the serving table rather than inside the refrigerator, so they could be seen more easily and consumed earlier. The Refectorian is tasked to serve unlabeled food soonest, and dispose of labeled food untouched for a long time.
8. To foment greater interaction among the residents, and meals being opportunities to enrich each other, all are encouraged to eat on different tables rather than have permanent ones. Kindly use Italian as much as possible. As a sign of courtesy, please avoid speaking in a language unknown to some at table, and if using the celfone becomes necessary, kindly go to a corner or step out of the refectory first.
7. To minimize food wastage, please inform the Sisters at least two hours before the meal you plan to skip. Also inform them if you plan to invite guests, especially if more than two.
8. Upon request, the Sisters will prepare packed lunch for those who will not be able to take their lunch in the Collegio.
9. Whenever necessary, you may request the kitchen personnel to prepare food earlier than usual or to reserve food for you if you expect to return to the Collegio late. These shall be made available in the Priests’ refectory. Out of respect for the Personnel and the Sisters, you may not dine in the kitchen nor in the Personnel’s or Sisters’ refectory.
10. Kindly inform the Economus if you have medically indicated needs for special diets. The Administration will try its best to provide them, but this might still entail additional effort and expenses on your part.
11. The Aperitif room (in front of the Rector’s Office) is maintained for use anytime by Bishops and other VIP’s, and for the Administration’s meetings. Students may entertain their Bishops or Professors there as well. For their study sessions, meetings, and other activites, students may use the Kanto, or, especially when with non-clergy visitors, the Visitor’s Lounge.
12. To respect the work of our Sisters and Lay Personnel, budgeting, physical order, sanitation, and use of time, the kitchen is off limits. Please coordinate with the Administrators (not just with the Sisters or Lay Personnel) if you wish to help in special occasions. Those who want to cook some food they procure may do so at the Kanto, where a stove and washing area are available.
13. Residents or guests who wish to provide special food should talk with the Economus before making any plans or purchasing ingredients. Normally, it is the Collegio that buys and cooks the food, after receiving the donation from the residents or guests, who perhaps in extremely special occasions, may ask permission to help out in the kitchen. Again, this is to respect the work flow of our Sisters and staff, by not allowing just anyone to enter their work area any time or without permission from or coordination with them.
14. Please come punctually for lunch and dinner, so that grace before meals may be said together as a community at the designated time. The Angelus or Regina Coeli is prayed before lunch. For grace before dinner, kindly wait for those who pray the Rosary and Vespers to arrive.
15. Meals do not only nourish us physically, but also serve as opportunities to interact with and learn from each other, practice Italian and other languages, and grow in our vocation as a family of priests. Please be punctual so we can start together with a prayer.